At Higgins Insurance, risk management is really important to us in making a positive difference in prevention, safety, and to help keep people’s insurance costs down. Being an insurance broker we have the ability to shop among our insurance providers on behalf of our clients.
Here are 4 safety tips to increase your safety while riding your motorbike.
1. Take the Motorcycle CourseTake the motor cycle course with a professional organization and practice on safe roads. Here are some links on motorcycle training in the Maritimes.
- Make sure roads are safe, suggest taking a drive with your vehicle first to check out the conditions of your course, some roads in the spring are not completely safe
- Ride within the speed limits. Speed is probably the number one cause of fatalities on our roads
- Be careful when pulling out from a stop sign
- Ride within your skill level
- Be careful around other drivers, be diligent. Anticipate what other road users are going to do
- Slow down in inclement weather
- Follow the rules of the road
- Maintain a clear sight line
- Use a safe following distance
- Refrain from driving in another driver’s blind spot
- Use hand signals
- If you drink – don’t drive!
- Wear your helmet
- Dress in appropriate (protective) clothing
- Dress for the slide not the ride
- Make yourself visible with reflective gear and clothing. Apply reflective strips on your bike
4. Keep your motor bike well maintain